Looking for a partial denture treatment in Addis Ababa city ? We can help. At our teeth clinic in Addis Ababa, we offer professional and high quality partial denture treatments tailored for various types of missing dentition.
You can call our dental clinic in Addis Ababa now on +251 988447778 to schedule an appointment.
What is a removable partial denture ?
Removable partial dentures function as a removable replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissue.
These dentures occupy only a portion of the mouth. Unlike full dentures that occupy the entire mouth, partial dentures fill a void created by missing teeth.
- A removable partial denture is used to replace at least one tooth and up to 13 teeth in a jaw (upper or lower). The missing teeth may or may not be adjacent.
- Removable partial dentures are mainly used when several teeth are missing, since there are other solutions for replacing a single tooth, such as bridges.
- A removable partial denture rests on the gums and with the help of clasps on the adjacent healthy teeth.
- The removable partial denture is more stable than the full denture because it rests on healthy natural teeth.
Related page : Prosthodontic Treatments at our dental clinic in Addis Ababa
Types of removable partial dentures
There are 3 types of removable partial dentures :
Metal partial denture
The metal partial denture is made of an alloy of cobalt and chrome. This partial denture can replace one or more missing teeth.
The metal partial denture rests on the gums and remaining teeth and is held in place with clasps on the natural teeth.
Metal partial dentures are used for both the upper and lower jaw. They have a gum-colored acrylic part and natural-looking artificial teeth.
- Metal partial dentures are Lightweight;
- They are solid;
- They Easy to maintain;
- Metal partial dentures are discreet and aesthetic;
- They require little adjustment;
- Metal partial dentures does not interfere with tongue movement;
- You can quickly adapt to the metal partial denture prosthesis;
- Metal partial dentures do not damage the natural teeth on which they rest and do not cause cavities when rigorous hygiene is practiced.
- Metal partial dentures are more expensive than acrylic dentures;
- At first, the teeth on which the clasps rest may be sensitive (temporary);
- The clasps of metal partial dentures may be visible in some cases.
Note : Before the fabrication of the metal partial denture, it is important to have a complete dental examination and cleaning to ensure that the teeth are free of cavities and suitable for the custom-made clasps.
Acrylic dentures are also used to replace one or more missing teeth, but they are less comfortable and less stable than metal dentures. Acrylic dentures are made with or without clasps.
The acrylic dentures are recommended as transitional dentures for patients who are suspected of losing other natural teeth in the near future and therefore require modification of their existing dentures or fabrication of a full denture.
The acrylic partial denture is also preferred by those who require treatment (e.g. gums) before they can wear a metal denture.
- Acrylic dentures are an economical choice;
- They are made quickly.
- Acrylic dentures are less comfortable and more fragile than metal dentures;
- They are thicker and cover a larger surface of the palate;
- Acrylic dentures are not recommended for the lower jaw;
- The adaptation period for these prostheses is quite long;
- They must be checked and adjusted regularly;
- Acrylic dentures are less stable than metal dentures.
Immediate partial dental prosthesis
The immediate denture is inserted the same day, immediately after the extraction of the teeth to be replaced, so that you do not have to go out in public with missing teeth.
The immediate prosthesis is made from the impression of the original teeth, before they are extracted.
- Because the immediate denture is made while your natural teeth are still in your mouth, their shape, color and arrangement are easier to reproduce;
- Inserted immediately after extraction, the immediate denture will act as a bandage, protecting the tissue and limiting bleeding;
- Adapting to speaking with a prosthesis will be easier if you wear an immediate prosthesis than if you spend time without teeth and without a prosthesis while waiting for a final prosthesis;
- Immediate dentures also ensure that you do not lose your ability to chew and minimize the facial distortion that can occur when teeth are removed;
- The immediate denture will need several readjustments (several visits for temporary relines);
- After the soft tissue has healed and the underlying bone has shrunk (3 to 6 months after the extractions) a permanent reline must be done to the immediate denture or a permanent denture of another type must be made.
Note : If you have a new denture made after the healing period, you can keep the immediate denture as a replacement denture, which is very convenient in case of breakage, loss or repair of your main denture.
Get in touch with our dental clinic in Addis Ababa on +251 988447778 to request an appointment for a partial denture treatment.
How are partial removable prostheses fitted?
Once the treatment is approved with your dentist, it begins and lasts between 2 and 6 weeks, depending on the clinical picture and the type of partial denture chosen.
The treatment includes the following steps :
- Dental examination and taking of impressions to record the shape of the gums and the position of the internal structures of the mouth (cheek, tongue, lips…), the position and shape of the jaw, the teeth (color, shape)
- Transfer of the imagery and instructions to the laboratory for the fabrication of the prosthesis
- Fitting of the prosthesis to verify its good adaptation, its easy insertion, the occlusion and the aesthetics (adjustments and settings are often necessary),
- fitting of the prosthesis and final corrections.
If tooth extractions have been performed, your dentist will schedule a rehabilitation and adjustment appointment 2 to 4 months after the placement due to tissue remodeling during the healing period.
A check-up and adjustment appointment is most often scheduled 5 to 15 days after the fitting session to review and verify the proper use of the prosthesis on a daily basis.
It is important to know that the clinical condition of the teeth may require care before the appliance is fitted: in fact, some of these teeth will be used to support the partial denture’s clasps; they must therefore be in perfect condition.
In some cases, adjustments designed to improve retention of the appliance will be made on certain abutment teeth; these adjustments can sometimes lead to the creation of a milled crown to ensure the quality of the prosthesis in the long term.
Price of removable partial dentures
The price of partial dentures varies depending on the number of missing teeth and the type of denture you need.
That is why an estimate is made in advance and communicated to you by your dentist when you come to our dental clinic in Addis Ababa.
How to live with and take care of your removable partial dentures?
Wearing a removable prosthesis means that you need to take care of it and know how to handle it, so as not to damage it or the teeth that support it.
If you are wearing a partial denture for the first time, it may take some time to get used to it. We are here to advise you and to make adjustments to improve your comfort. At first, the appliance may cause :
- A feeling of discomfort
- Sensitivity in the supporting teeth
- Abundant salivation
- If these problems become too severe, visit your dental clinic’s dentist so that he or she can help you and answer any questions you may have.
The difference between a fixed and a removable denture is that the latter must be removed and cleaned after meals, while brushing your teeth.
You must remove it carefully, preferably by holding the support tooth with one of your fingers, while pulling on the clasps.
Once it is out of your mouth, be sure to wash your appliance with a special brush and toothpaste.
You can complete the cleaning of your appliance by using effervescent tablets.
Leave your dentures to soak for less than 15 minutes, then rinse them thoroughly.
If you do not want to wear your dentures at night, it is advisable to keep them in a dry, non-hermetic box.
This will protect it from dust, but also from the development of bacteria (which multiply in a humid environment).
Before putting the prothesis back in your mouth, you can moisten it with warm water to limit salivation.
Finally, pay attention to the wear of the attachment clips: if you wear a removable partial denture with attachments, be aware that some elements may wear out over time.
They will then be replaced.
Call +251 988447778 for a removable partial denture treatment.